Saturday 24 November 2012

TUTUS.

Stags can wait, they've been waiting. I've been busy, shutup.



A long while ago i decided to draw a ballerina in my note book. At the time i didn't know why i chose to draw a ballerina but i just did. So i drew one, a second one, then a third, then i was out of space to draw a fourth. Today i couldn't count for you just how many ballerinas I've drawn. I couldn't recall all the places where I've drawn them. I've now come to thank Mr. Kanye West for that rather significant first drawing. Music videos.. fuck yeah. 

Ever since I've been steadily wasting time simply scribbling away ballerinas in my note books, in my journal, on any loose piece of paper i can get my hands on, on public property if i ever chose to pop a can of spray paint open. I've been in love with ballerinas for quite some time now. I've been having an affair with scribbly lines for even longer. It was an inevitable that they both met at some point. How glad i was with its consequence.

However I'm not an illustrator.. yet. I'm a student of animation, so animate is what's i's gotta do's babe. At first i thought it was a cute phase, a new tag, static. So i put ballerinas away and focused on rat things, jelly fish eyelashes, walk cycles and the y-axis.. that was until we were given a solo project, a solo project that would round out the end of our first year of BDes animation. Some people had trouble deciding what they wanted to do, for we were given an incredible range of possibilities; you could choose to draw 150 pages worth of observation, rig a 3D-model, create a character, animate pop-eye, you could do a back-flip. I knew exactly what project I wanted to undertake, I knew from the moment we were told 'go'. Hand drawn animation, ballerinas.

I won't bore you with the intricacies of animating hand drawn ballerinas but i will say this, it was a plunge into nothing, it was diving headfirst into something you couldn't be sure about, you didn't know.. i didn't know how it would turn out. This is one of the few projects that made this year, worth it.

In the end i fell off a computer chair with a 28-second animated cocktail of hand drawn animation and digital post-processing. In the end my peers congratulated me on what i had done. In the end it was the best feedback i had gotten all year. I owe you one Kanye West.

My piece was put on display on Thursday the 22nd of November, at a little show we held. There I sat on a couch, watching my animation being played on a screen suspended in mid-air. I had friends on either side of me congratulation me on my work. It was nice. I looked over at a woman sitting in the front row. I didn't know who she was. She was looking up in adoration of what was playing on screen, i smiled at the fact that she was smiling as she watched. There are very few moments when i am ever satisfied with my work, that was one of them. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I deleted the previous comment because I'm picky with wording and now I look like an idiot)
    I love your ballerinas and I love you more because you are fantastic yes? Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete